Sunday, December 19, 2021

Coco


The Survivalist 


They tell me that I am a Miracle of life! 

Part of medical history at age two! 

They carved a big C –

From beneath my toddler chin, 

to behind my rose petal size left ear.


My tracheotomy a mynute nick back then.

Now it’s the size of a quarter, 

but people often say – 

they don’t even notice it.

Until I mention it that is….


My life expectancy was 5

I can’t imagine my mother’s grief,

my father’s rage, 

the innocence of my eyes 

drinking in their trauma.


After 5 hit they gave me the gift 

of 4 more years!

My stiches had long since healed 

and yet I was still coming apart

from the inside out.


Age 9 I stood with a lighter in hand

I decided with all the trauma I had faced;

rape, molestation, surgery after surgery.

If this was what life was –

then I didn’t want one. 


You can see the shift in my eyes,

from age 8 to 9.

Like a burnt-out candle.

A vignette is very fitting 

to the dark shadow that lurches over me.


Baffled at how I made it past 9,

the doctors give me 9 more years!

Holidays with aggressors –

Birthdays spent with pedophiles.

A practiced stage worthy smile upon my face.


If I am a miracle of anything at this point –

then I am the miracle of survival… 




Reflections


I used to tell people I was Frankenstein’s Daughter

he was the only person I could ever relate to.


The scars that traced my neck, 

and the misunderstood demeanor. 


How no one speaks our language –

grunts and disengaged looks from a hallowed spirit. 


They don’t understand our triggers,

nor do they care how hot our inner fire burns.


Just after we were created doctors cried out; 

“It’s a miracle!”


They never said what kind,

nor did they tell us we were just an experiment. 


As I look in the mirror its hard to see a miracle 

when all the world sees is a monster.

 



1 comment:

  1. Coco, thank you for sharing tjis heartfelt poem....You are a miracle..God doesnt make mistakes , just the people you have endured. You spread so much happiness to all your friends, your beaufiful smile, your kind eyes, your sense of humor!Never look back, always forward!

    ReplyDelete

Coco

The Survivalist  They tell me that I am a Miracle of life!  Part of medical history at age two!  They carved a big C – From beneath my toddl...