Thursday, December 16, 2021

Alicia Viguer-Espert

Mare Nostrum

 

How to find the thread uniting everything:

Pottery, donkeys, artichokes, refugees

Who play the violin, are doctors, or poets,

Feel pain on dry land and underwater?

I watched them pushed by a hot Sirocco, *

A maritime caravan without fixed destination

Searching the direction of the wind, the coast,

Nursing thirsty children on the lap of the sea.

                             

                              *****

They resemble the ancient drama held in Ithaca.

War drives men away from home, darkens wives

Eyelids, until the champion returns exhausted,

His archery skills miraculously untouched after

Twenty years of fighting political enemies. Hungry

For his Penelope, he squints at the sky for signs

Of Athena’s protection or any new god

Influential enough to save all Telemachus.

                             

                              *****

Like yesterday, for some, memories hang

Abandoned on olive tree branches, burned houses,

A headless doll by the sill. Still, thick strokes of blue

Painting the horizon and its fishermen’s boats

Persist in my mind as my every day companions,

My life-line. Tuna, fished for centuries mindfully,

Are now butchered for the benefit of plutocracy

Dressed on the outfit of Japanese palates.

 

                              *****

You have the eyes of a sear, she said,

Reading an uncertain future on my palm,

Glancing at invisible sunken ships, oars

Disintegrated, amphoras still holding Garum *

From Málaga, the favorite of the Republic.

She disappeared under fistfuls of tight stars,

In a patera * filled with two hundred souls

And a lamenting oud. * Still, laughter,

The best medicine, echoes across waves.

                             

                              *****

Little has changed, same alluring beaches

Beneath Icarus view, more drowned descents,

Same seizing of exiles, the new gladiators.

Similar feet border the coast collecting

Goose barnacles, treasures to eat or sell,

Wares sing out loud in ancient tongues.

Still, I yearn to see Ibiza from the Montgó, *

Climb Ÿabal al-Tãrik * to salute African brothers.

 

                              *****

I walk to the shore which brought me my first

Two languages, to remember who I am,

At what ceremony I got my scales, the chestnut eyes

Same to a woman who kissed my cheeks in Ephesus,

Hair equal to sea-urchins hidden underneath rocks,

Skin octopus-soft, like the one curled around my leg

When I was ten, its tentacles a million suction cups

Each one as afraid as I was. 

 

                              *****

From Algeciras to Istanbul lives nurtured by the same

Liquid color dance to music from a guitar called “home.”   

It’s not just history, but the Temple where we received    

The Meter to measure the purity of light, from the density

Of honey to the unpolluted transparency of cellophane,

The thousand shades of this ethereal pigment, this gift

Of presence always changing ever vibrant, this sea

Reveals my people in the threads engraved in its surf.

 

                              *****

 

First Published by Odyssey.pm  (May 2021)

  

Sirocco: African wind which blows through Europe.

Garum: Fish sauce favored by ancient Romans.

Patera: Flat boat for hunting ducks, used by migrants crossing the Mediterranean to Europe.

Oud: Arabic string musical instrument, precursor of the lute.

Montgó: Mountain by the sea in Denia, (Greek Hemoroskopium) from where one can see Ibiza.

Ÿabal al-Tãrik: Gibraltar, Mountain of Tãrik in Arabic = the general leading the conquest of Spain on 711.





Desolation 
                              To Jo, a friend like no other

The nuts I’m eating turn to hot molasses
can’t be spit out, nor can be swallow. 
Her sister describes frailty, sinking decline,
bird songs get out of tune, orchid petals
in transparent coats, -a fading premonition,-
drop over the gelid marble counter 
gradually, in this slow-moving film.

My hands twist in surprising shapes, grab
another cloud of tissues, rub my red nose.
Thinking, a luxury my brain can’t afford,
though one could consider this the best time
with reality exposed, life peeking from inside
seams in a flowery summer dress, a zipper
closing and leaving the lining in the dark. 

I’ve been awake waiting, hand on my heart, 
but not hiding, braving the freezing waters 
of conversation at moments of confusion, 
held her hand, reassuring I’m not sure of 
what, perhaps the miracle of love being 
the essential substance in the universe.
Kindness leaving, desolation will remain 
mixed with her love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coco

The Survivalist  They tell me that I am a Miracle of life!  Part of medical history at age two!  They carved a big C – From beneath my toddl...