Thursday, December 16, 2021

Tish Eastman

Sit Back Down and Listen


women need to brave the recoil 

of men who leave the room 

when the talk turns to female troubles

of men who prefer female anatomy 

to be naked prepubescent virtual enhanced 

divorced from childbirth and 


Blood


the word strikes fear when it drains from a woman 

but fervor when it drains into the soil of a battlefield   

you can’t win a medal unless you shed some

 

Blood


guts and glory they shout

watching carnage recreated on television

while keeping their appetite for snacks intact

but a man is a coward when it comes to 


Blood


where tampons are needed and we ask him 

to pick up a box if he’s going to costco 

for motor oil and snacks anyway  

but that cart with tampons between bags of cheetos  

is a public admission he allowed his woman

to talk about


Blood

 

and didn’t leave the room


so man caves are less about sports and beer 

and more about taboos and fear

of women who know that

between sex and birth 

and fetuses 

men never want spoken of again 


women learn that the uterus can break 

the monthly cycles 

of fill and flush  

can speed up to weekly 

then daily  

and the flow that a tampon once contained 

gushes free to drench clothes and car seats

and fill a toilet with horrors of


Blood


that can only be stopped 

by draining the body of almost half  so 


Blood


pressure drops and clots form

until their weight matches a cow’s liver

and gravity tears them 

from the uterine wall then the


Blood 


is free to flow again

and men are free 

to leave the room that a woman 

is trapped in alone 

with her consciousness dimming 

praying she won’t die that night

even though after all this


Blood


Loss

 

after all her men 

have left the room

for all her years


she may have wanted to


So sit back down and listen





Experiments

A dozen newly hatched toads 
were impossible for an eight year old to resist.  
I captured them in a mason jar, 
the lid carefully punched with holes.
I left the jar in the shade of the porch
when my mother called me to lunch. 
The ‘slimy things’ weren’t allowed inside
so it could not have been my fault.
One half hour of shifting summer sun
caused a heat holocaust in my glass world.
My wards were lifeless casualties 
that I cried about for years.

That summer my brother trapped a mouse in a jar 
and rolled it down the grade 
of the empty pool—despite my pleadings— 
to see if it would go mad.  
He went on to do graduate work in biology, 
with no moral dilemmas or qualms
about lives spent trapped in glass tanks,
or cut short, preserved in jars.  

I studied psychology, which, when done well, 
doesn’t need a shelf of brains.
But I warn you I feel more compassion 
for innocent species than man.
There is a trace of scientific detachment 
lurking in my genes.  
I may punch holes in your cranium 
to release vaporous self-delusion.
My verbal scalpel may slice cerebral cross-sections
so I can count each ring of truth.  
The bubble that seals you from jarring reality
may get rolled down a hard, steep slope
to see if it makes you sane. 






Et Tu, Enterococcus

Over millennia, we charted an entangled course
of mutual survival and evolutionary symbiosis,
challenging each other to grow ever stronger
through times of war and detente.

Admittedly ours was the initial betrayal,
when a first glimpse through a microscope lens
revealed you, completely populating our fluid cosmos,
moving without limbs, multiplying without marriage.

But since we erroneously claimed these bodies as ours,
we vowed to eradicate your kind 
with merciless warheads given gladiator names 
like Cipro, Ceclor, and  Suprax.

We blasted swathes of destruction in terrorist acts
with complete disregard to the consequences 
of catastrophic casualties in micro-factories
to workers, maintenance crews, and security guards,
now proven essential for our mutual survival.

Bacteria will kill us all, one day,
or so I think waiting in the pharmacy line 
for the newest antibiotic that may obliterate 
or make invincible this warrior race
raging through my waterways.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Coco

The Survivalist  They tell me that I am a Miracle of life!  Part of medical history at age two!  They carved a big C – From beneath my toddl...